After weighing all the information available, attending university open days, and talking to friends, family, course tutors, and college careers advisers about your degree options, you’re ready to begin UCAS application process for 2023.
The UCAS is the central organisation responsible for processing applications for full-time undergraduate study at UK universities.
UCAS offers two ways to register and complete your application: online or through your school or college and UCAS will handle it for you. The deadline for the latter may be earlier than UCAS’s, so it’s important to confirm it.
Alternatively, if you’ve already left college, or you’re an international student looking to study in the UK, you’ll need to register with UCAS as an individual and apply through their online system, while adhering to the timeframe set out below.
Applying to the university in the UK
Visit the UCAS Hub to apply online for full-time undergraduate study. Your application can be started, continued, and tracked from this page. The UCAS application form can also be filled out with help.
When applying to university in the UK, you can select up to five courses at different universities. However, you can only apply once in a cycle.
The UCAS deadline for all 2023 applications to be received by UCAS is Thursday 30 June 2023.
The 2023 application fee is £22 for a single choice, rising to £26.50 for two choices or more. Your college may collect the payment for entry, or could ask you to pay UCAS directly.
Before the application deadline you’ll need to have:
- filled in all your details, qualifications and courses selected
- well written your personal statement – see how to write a personal statement
- included a written reference from a teacher or professional who knows you academically
- paid your UCAS application fee.
UCAS application deadlines
Find below listed UCAS application key dates for courses starting in 2023:
- 26 January 2023 – Applications for most courses to be received by UCAS.
- 25 February 2023 – Extra opens.
- 19 May 2023 – university/college decisions due on applications submitted by 26 January.
- 30 June 2023 – all applications received after this date will enter into Clearing.
- 4 July 2023 – last date to apply in Extra for entry.
- 5 July 2023 – Clearing opens.
- 14 July 2023 – university/college decisions due on applications submitted by 30 June.
- 9 August 2023 – SQA results day.
- 18 August 2023 – A-level results day.
- 28 September 2023 – final application deadline for entry.
- 18 October 2023 – deadline for Clearing choices to be added.
Applying directly to the university
If you choose to study part time or are interested in distance learning degrees, you’ll need to contact the university directly to apply, although you can still search for courses on the UCAS website between July and September.
The application process is also a lot shorter, so you don’t need to find a course as far in advance. Exact deadlines are set by individual course providers.
International students still apply through UCAS, but may need to send your proof of qualifications directly to the university. Speak to your chosen institution to find out their policy on receiving results.
If you plan to begin your studies during the fall in UK, then academics suggest applying to your chosen university in the UK between December and June.
For a bachelor’s degree an offer letter typically takes 2 weeks to process in the UK.